Markey's Building Maintenance, Inc. was established in 1948 by Clarke Markey and his son, Duke Markey. The original office was located at 118 North Main Street in Red Lion, PA. The office was in the kitchen of their home. Original assets consisted of one desk, a phone, an adding machine, two floor polishers, some window cleaning equipment, and waxing supplies (purchased from Buckingham Wax Co. Back then Clarke and Duke worked full time for the Red Lion Cabinet Company by day and serviced their cleaning and maintenance clients in the evenings.
In 1953, Clarke and Duke both retired from the cabinet company and went to work for themselves full time under the name Markey’s Floor Cleaning Service.
In 1961 the business relocated to 226 South Pine Street in Red Lion, again with a home office, but this time with an additional storage facility located at 233 South Pine Street.
In 1975 Clarke felt it was time to retire and sold the business to his son and daughter-in-law, Duke and Charmaine Markey. It was then that they updated the name to Markey’s Building Maintenance, Inc. Duke continued working until 1993 when his son and daughter-in-law, Kip and Susan Markey, assumed the business and relocated to 211 South Charles Street (in Red Lion). Duke continued to work part time until his unfortunate passing in 2010.